At Saint-Gobain, we are dedicated to promoting an approach that prioritises energy efficiency in buildings. Our focus is on creating a highly performing envelope, ensuring that heating, cooling, and lighting needs are minimised to the unavoidable minimum.
Did you know?
- 33%: The share of the construction sector in worldwide energy consumption.
- 70%: The contribution of energy efficiency in reducing the world’s energy demand in 2019.
FAQ: Understanding energy terms
- Energy Need: The actual energy required for a particular service, before accounting for system and equipment energy losses.
- Final Energy: The energy distributed and billed, incorporating losses due to system performance.
- Primary Energy: The raw energy purchased at the country or state level, including losses due to energy transformation, production, and transportation.
Exploring energy types
What is Energy Efficiency?
Energy efficiency refers to using less energy to provide the same services, such as heating, cooling, dehumidification, and lighting in buildings. Energy-efficient buildings have reduced energy needs, regardless of the energy sources and equipment chosen.
Steps to Achieve Energy Efficiency in Buildings
- Fabric-First Approach: Prioritize creating a highly performing building envelope.
- Limit Heating, Cooling, and Lighting Needs: Reduce the usage of these services to the minimum required.
- Utilise Renewable and Decarbonized Sources: Embrace sustainable energy sources to meet the building’s energy requirements.
Measuring Energy Efficiency
A key indicator for energy efficiency is the demand for heating, cooling, and dehumidification per square meter per year, considering the local context and regulations.
Our Commitment to Energy Efficiency
At Saint-Gobain, we offer a range of solutions that contribute to increased energy efficiency in buildings:
- Glazing Options: Providing glazing solutions that can either let the sun in or block it out, depending on the building’s requirements.
- Insulation: Implementing insulation to reduce heat loss and prevent excessive heat gains during summers.
- Insulation for Pipes and Ducts: Ensuring proper insulation for water pipes and ventilation ducts to improve overall energy efficiency.
- Smart Membranes: Installing smart membranes that enhance air tightness and moisture management, further optimising energy usage.
- Render Solutions: Utilising render solutions that not only insulate but also offer weather defense.
By incorporating these solutions, we aim to contribute significantly to the energy efficiency of buildings, making them more sustainable and environmentally friendly. At Saint-Gobain, we believe in a greener future achieved through conscious choices in construction and energy usage.