A spirit of adventure is felt at Camp Discovery, where both humans and wildlife embrace the beauty of the natural surroundings of this 270-hectare game farm. However, when the wildlife began to pose a problem by roaming onto the sports field, Camp Discovery approached Khulani Timber Industries, who provided a solution by installing Tanapole™ ranch fencing around the perimeter of the field to alleviate the problem.
The installation took two weeks and features an interesting entry/exit design that eliminates the use of a traditional gate that requires opening and closing. The skillfully designed “zig-zag” formation of the poles allows for humans to navigate their way on and off the field, while keeping the wildlife at bay. To withstand the outdoor conditions of the sports field and provide protection against wood decay caused by fungi, the poles were treated with Tanalith™ C wood preservative and Weatherwood™ water repellent additive.
Established in 1991 and located in Modjadjiskloof in Limpopo, Khulani Timber Industries is a leading treated pole producer for the building / fencing pole market and the agricultural / transmission pole market throughout Africa. The treatment of timber poles is carried out in two treatment plants, one of which was upgraded and commissioned by Lonza Wood Protection in 2010. All poles adhere to the SANS 457 pole specification requirements. Khulani is also listed on the Tanalised™ Wood Preservative Guarantee programme, which offers end-users, such as Camp Discovery, the peace-of-mind of a product that is backed by a 15-year guarantee.
About Lonza Wood Protection
Lonza Wood Protection specialises in products for the industrial pre-treatment and surface protection of wood and has global operations in North and South America, Europe, key markets in Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific. Products and services include:
- The broadest range of industrial wood treatments in the world
- Products which improve the performance of wood, one of the world’s most sustainable natural resources
- Treatments which make wood resistant to termites, fungi, mould, fire and moisture
- Products which sustain the natural appearance of wood
- Engineering and marketing services to help customers grow
- Broad global regulatory expertise and world-class toxicology and analytical chemistry skills, offering customers solutions that contribute to the sustainability of their own products and services
- Many products that satisfy green building and sustainability standards