Commissioned by the Department of Public Works, The Palm Ridge Magistrates Courts is the largest magistrate’s court in South Africa providing access to justice in a previously underdeveloped area. The complex consists of a 6-storey building comprising 33 courts, magistrates offices, prosecutors’ offices, police offices, holding cells, a cash hall and canteen facilities.
The building design challenges the traditional paradigm and symbolism of magistrate’s courts as authoritative, inaccessible and austere public buildings and is designed within the spirit of access to justice within the public realm.
The architect has historically used ASSA ABLOY because of the complete solutions that the company offers.
Some of the ASSA ABLOY products specified include:
- 737SC – UNION Door Closer, EN2-4, Slide Channel
- FD451-737SC – UNION Fire Door Closer System with Mechanical Co-Ordinator
- 767 – UNION Double Action Floorspring
- CB612-13SC – UNION Protea Furniture on Backplate, Oval Piercing
- 6503-05SS – UNION Narrow Stile Furniture
- 5206BTSS – UNION Sandpiper Offset Pull Handle
- SS5023-456W – UNION 150×400 SS Push Plates
- SS5515-150BTSS – UNION Dove SS Pull Handle
- L-2141-78SS – UNION Oval Cylinder Deadlock, Commercial Grade
- L-2241-78SS – UNION Oval Cylinder Mortice Upright Lock, Commercial Grade
- Q35x85MM-SS – UNION Narrow Stile Spring Latch and Deadbolt Europrofile Lock
- UNION and Mul-T-Lock Cylinders