CHRYSO® Southern Africa and its subsidiary, a.b.e.® Construction Chemicals, provided admixtures and specialised construction products for five winning and virtually every other project entered for this year’s Fulton Awards, the Concrete Society of SA’s annual accolades for excellence in the use of concrete.
CHRYSO® and/or a.b.e.® products were used to facilitate the construction of the following Fulton Awards category winners:
- New arch bridge over the Olifants River. The bridge is part of the works for the upgrading of the N7 from a single carriageway to a dual carriageway near the vicinity of the Olifants River about 280 km north of Cape Town. For this winning project in the “Infrastructure project valued up to R100 million” category, Chryso Plast 500 water-reducing admixture and Chryso Optima 100 super-plasticiser were part of the concrete mix;
- Battery Park at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. Situated at the entrance to the V&A Waterfront, the new Battery Park office park won the “Buildings – more than three-storeys” Fulton Award. The concrete contained Chryso’s Omega 122 admixture with Chryso curing compound and release agent also used on site. a.b.e.® provided two Dowsil sealants for the glazing;
- Norval Foundation, Steenberg. For this new art and cultural centre in Cape Town, a.b.e.® supplied a Dowsil glazing silicone sealant as well as durarep repair mortar and epidermix epoxy adhesive building products while Chryso provided its Omega 140 admixture for the concrete mix. Chryso curing compound was also used during the construction of the Fulton winner in the “Innovation in concrete” category;
- 90a Bellamont residential buildings in Umdloti, KZN: The concrete for this winning project in the “Buildings – up to three storeys” category included Chryso’s Omega 162 multi-dose admixture;
- House La Lucia, Durban. Here, the concrete for the winning entry in the “Architectural concrete” included Chryso Omega 162 and Optima 175 admixtures. The upmarket residence, with foundations on a primary dune, required continuous-flight auger reinforced concrete grout piles.
In addition to providing products to optimise construction performance and for the glazing of these winning entries, CHRYSO SA and a.b.e.® Construction Chemicals also supplied products for eight projects that won Fulton Award Commendations as well as 14 other entries for this year’s honours.